The river scene to promote the Waldorf-inspired charter school is, in my opinion, wholly inadequate without some authentic Los Angeles River flora and fauna.
So I worked to create a snowy egret for the scene. I started with this photo from the Bolsa Chica (I would like to find the photographer, to link back properly to his site and give him credit).
I couldn't figure out how to mathematically draw a pattern, so I built a maquette out of a printout of the photo and some structural elements cut from magazine paper.
This was a tremendous mindbender for me, and I have no idea how I can draw the final pattern and digitize it in a way that I can offer it to all of you so you can make one. Stay tuned on that.
It turns out the bird I chose was showing mating plumage. Whoopsie. I went with it anyway. The next one will be plain.
As the body came together, I stuffed and sewed. I use polyfill. Wool is much better, but expensive, and since this guy is going to be out in public and could mysteriously disappear or become injured, I didn't want to really shell out on the prototype. In the end, I added a black (uh brown, I didn't have black felt) bill piece and a yellow mask.
Techman suggested that I create a U-shape of wire inside the body to support the weight. Which I will be sure to do before sewing the body closed on the next snowy egret.
Then I glued the bird's feet to some flat river rocks (which are glued together) as sort of a stand. I leaned the whole works into a corner so it can — hopefully — dry properly.
Post a Comment